Music and the Poor House may not be an obvious connection, however, it played an important role in both the funding and the education offered within the House. In order to secure funds for the running of the House various dramatic and musical performances were held both in the Board Room of the Poor House and in the Playhouse in Rosemary Lane. The Belfast Musical Society held events and contributed £5 13s 9d in 1782 and in the following year donated 50 guineas. These were important sources of income for the running of the Poor House.
Music was also part of the curriculum for some of the children who attended the school at the Poor House. During 18th and 19th centuries in Belfast, most of the labouring classes would not have received any education, therefore for the children of the Poor House to receive any level of education was of huge benefit to them. The basic education included reading, writing, arithmetic and religious instruction. There were also much wider opportunities for the children and music played a big part in this. Children were selected for Church choirs and would have gone out to the various church for choir practices and performances. Specialist music teachers were brought in for some of the children who showed a natural aptitude for music. They were taught instruments and a instrumental band was started in the Poor House in 1848 by Dr Charles Purdon and Robert Magee. They gave concerts in the Poor House for the residents and at fund-raisers. They were also invited to play at some external events such as a bazaar in Botantic Gardens.