In light of Covid restrictions, Belfast Charitable Society have been unable to reopen the doors of Clifton House for our regular tours. However, we have developed a unique set of virtual talks which are delivered every Friday at 1pm, allowing people to tune in from the comfort of their homes, or over their lunch break, to learn about the the different strands of our history. From October 2020 we will starting the series again, with new thematic talks including the ‘darker side’ of Clifton Street Cemetery for Halloween, Belfast and the Slave Trade and Christmas in the Poor House. There really is something for everyone!
- 2nd October | 1pm | The Belfast Poor House Through the Centuries | Book here
- 9th October | 1pm | In Life and Death: A History of Clifton Street Cemetery | Book here
- 16th October | 1pm | Children and the Belfast Poor House | Book here
- 23rd October | 1pm | HERstory: The Women of Clifton House | Book here
- 30th October | 1pm | Exploring the ‘Darker Side’ of Clifton Street Cemetery | Book here
- 6th November | 1pm | Doctors & Disease: The Medical History of the Poor House | Book here
- 13th November | 1pm | Lesser Spotted Graves of Clifton Street Cemetery | Book here
- 20th November | 1pm | Mary Ann McCracken (1770-1866): Her Life and Times | Book here
- 27th November | 1pm | Paper & Politics: The Joy Family | Book here
- 4th December | 1pm | Belfast & the Slave Trade | Book here
- 11th December |1pm | Christmas in the Poor House | Book here
- 18th December |1pm | Christmas in the Poor House | Book here
These talks occur every Friday at 1pm through Zoom and are limited to allow for an interactive question and answer session. As a special promotion if you book 4 talks you can pick an additional talk free of charge, just reply to this email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) once you have paid for your chosen 5.
The development of this series has been supported by the National Lottery Heritage Fund Emergency Grant Scheme.