By the close of play on this day (29th April) 78 years ago, Clifton House was quiet and deserted. Only once prior to this time had the house been completely empty – that was in 1798. The army had cleared it in a rush in 1798 in a bid to flush out the radicals in Belfast […]
On 25th April 1812, it was reported by the Orderly that an “extraordinary meeting” of Belfast Charitable Society was held yesterday regarding the death of one of its apprentices. The boy in question was William Lacey who was first admitted into the Poorhouse, at the tender age of 7, in February 1803. In November 1809, […]
Music formed a huge part of the curriculum in the Poor House, especially for the boys.
Children were taught to play musical instruments and learnt to sing. They proved very popular and many were brought to different churches to participate in the respective choirs. Many of the young boys were so skilful that they ended up […]
#OnThisDay 1919 Belfast Charitable Society passed a resolution in regard to the great loss to the Society caused by the death of Edward Wakefield Pim Esq J.P.
E.W. Pim was, for many long years the Honourary Secretary, and it was his foresight in 1907 that led to the recording of inscriptions on extant headstones in Clifton […]
The Poor House was always intended to be as self sufficient as possible. They had their own tailor and carpenter as well as operating a farm which utilised the fields granted to them in 1774. As part of the farm they had their own piggery. Piglets were purchased, fattened and slaughtered for market. The profit went back […]
On 1st April 1775 the Belfast Charitable Society member, Reverend William Bristow, wrote to the vestry for the loan of the Old Parish Church bell and clock. This church was located on the site of what is today St George’s on High Street. The old church had been condemned, and a new church was later […]